Linking Perth's eastern suburbs to the city, the Causeway bridge has undergone several changes as it quickly became one of Perth's most crucial pieces of infrastructure.
Due to the increasing congestion of traffic crossing the river each day, large roundabouts were built at both the eastern (in 1952) and western (in 1954) side of the Causeway to enable faster movements when entering and exiting the roadway.
The construction of the Narrows bridge in 1959 helped ease traffic problem facing the Causeway as it enabled a secondary route into Perth from the south-eastern suburbs.
In 1973, the eastern roundabout was removed and replaced with a partial cloverleaf interchange to enable vehicles travelling north-south to traverse over the roadway without having to enter the stream of traffic heading east-west.
The bridges were designed to handle tramcars as the second iteration of the Causeway had operated electric tramcars for several decades prior but, due to public opinion, tram lines have not been installed as their overhead wires were considered ugly at the time.
In 2000, the opening of the Windan Bridge of the Graham Farmer Freeway had a significant effect on the daily amount of cars travelling across the Causeway. This enabled two of the bridges six lanes to be converted to dedicated bus lanes to enable a quicker public transport connection between the CBD and the Victoria Park Transfer Station.