The history of the WA Club is closely interwoven with the history of Western Australia and has been an integral part of the state's commercial business and political activity for almost 100 years. Begun in 1893 by some of Western Australia's leading citizens, it was formed to create a meeting place for men working for the growth and betterment of the Swan river colony. They included the pioneers of the vast tracts of land from the far north to the south, prominent businessmen, the legal and accounting professionals, politicians and premiers.
The club has survived on almost unaltered principles since that time, although the dominance of pastoralists and farmers as the lifeblood of the membership has waned.
The author has followed the development of the club from its position as an important and valued hub for its members. Throughout its history it has called only three venues home. In 1970, it moved into magnificent new premises overlooking the beautiful Swan River and included women as associate members for the first time.
Through its members, the club has shared in the shifting fortunes of Western Australia, through world wars, the Great Depression, periods of growth and stagnation. But equally, it has struggled with its own growth and development, with committees working tirelessly to set and maintain standards, assure the club's financial security, reflect the wishes of its members, while ensuring the club remained the "home away from home" that it has always been.
To view this document please make an appointment with the Museum of Perth: firstname.lastname@example.org